Web hosting is probably one of the youngest and fastest-growing industries in the world most people never even heard of. To be precise, it is estimated to be worth 154 billion US dollars by the year 2022. But even amongst web hosting, “managed web hosting” has taken the stage by many companies.
Let’s take a look at why this industry is growing so fast and how it affects millions of websites and helps to build million-dollar enterprises and small businesses.
So what is web hosting after all? And why are we mentioning “managed hosting?”
In simple terms, it is an internet service to allow individuals or organizations to make their website accessible on the world wide web. Web hosting companies can help provide GB disk space on a server owned or leased for use by bloggers, companies, agencies, or basically anyone.
So how come, so few people have heard of it? And why is it so important?
Let’s just say, without web hosting services, many websites wouldn’t even exist today.
A web hosting service provider is a business that provides the technologies and services needed for the website or webpage to be viewed on the Internet. Websites’ data like your images, content, code, etc. are hosted or stored, on special computers called servers. When Internet users want to view your website, all they need to do is type your website address or domain into their browser.
Why is web hosting so special?
This whole thing sounds, boring so far, right?
What let’s break it down like this. As of January 2020, there were over 1.74 billion websites on the Internet, according to recent studies. Meanwhile, around 5,760,000 blogs/articles are published every single day. That is quite a lot, considering the fact that the online ONE website existed since the 6th of August 1991. We are uncertain about the exact number of people using web hosting, but we can estimate that around 50% use various hosting servers. So that makes about 870 million worldwide. Not bad, eh?
And all this translates to billions of dollars every month.
So you basically need web hosting to publish your content online. Simple enough!
Because it is a massive and growing business that very few anticipate in the world. Some of the biggest names according to Hostingadvice.com are Godaddy, Amazon Web Services, and Google Cloud Platform.
Why are we highlighting the term “managed hosting?”
Managed web hosting is basically an essential part of the internet’s websites to function. Most people just leave disregard it, because they’ve never heard of it. But web hosting is more crucial than anyone would think. There are different types of hosting services provided by many companies. Shared, VPS (virtual private server,) Cloud and of course Managed. But we will only focus on the latest and most valuable form of hosting. If you’d like to discover more about the others, there are plenty of articles and ebooks on the topic.
But here we will focus on the most valuable and most prominent form of this emerging industry. Managed hosting.
Why choose managed web hosting?
Five Simple Reasons
- Around half a billion dollars is lost every year because of slow websites. This is because most people lose patience with slow-loading pages and just leave a website that might offer something interesting. (We just love fast websites.) Managed hosting ensures that all websites are running fast and speedy. According to Webhostingrating, 40% of consumers will leave a page that takes longer than three seconds to load. Talk about impatience?
- Security. You might find this surprising but every day about 100,000 websites get hacked. Crazy right?
- Easy site management. Imagine you have your own website. You need to take care of a lot of technical stuff. Wouldn’t it be nice to just ring or scribble a few words to customer support? Well, with managed hosting you just get that. They take care of all their customer’s needs. Slow website? No problem. Error 404? No problem? Do you need help with uptime? Say no more fam… The entire idea is that they manage all issues while you can focus on your online business.
- Support. If you are not an IT expert or a student of computer sciences this is definitely helpful. You will surely run into errors or downtime on several occasions, where managed hosting providers are obliged to help you out ASAP. (At least the best ones do.) If you wanna make a living from the internet, this is crucial because downtime will result in the loss of page visitors.
- Ease of use. User-friendly dashboards and simple functions make managed hosting even more attractive to get through all the complications needed to run your website smoothly.
There are certainly more reasons if you are in this industry. But for us, these are the reasons why we use managed hosting to run our company. But the downside of all this is that there is a price to pay. Literally! You have to pay a hefty price because managed hosting is quite expensive.
So what drives all these billions of dollars in revenue that makes the managed hosting industry so successful?
The reason for its success is that managed hosting is focusing on people who make money. So businesses and startups! Imagine you are an online agency, a retailer, or a gang of bloggers and influencers. Without your online presence, you cannot sell your ebooks, dropshipping, spread the message, or get that sweet ad revenue that we all crave. Even gigantic companies like The New York Times, Facebook blogs, WHO, or Ubisoft need to host their content. And these big organizations are willing to give thousands of dollars every month for speed, security, and scalability.
Want to give managed web hosting a shot?
It is truly an industry worth investing your time in. Not only if you are a tech enthusiast! You don’t have to be an IT expert to understand the magnitude this industry will have on the digital world.